Saturday 24 March 2012

Lambskin vs. Caviar Leather?

I know I've been on a shopping rampage lately but one of my goals by the end of this year is to treat myself to a Chanel Classic Jumbo/Large Flap Bag for my 20th birthday present! 

To me the Classic Flap Bag is timeless, elegant and will definitely not go out of style. Its definitely an investment piece that I'll cherish and pass down to my further generations.Chanel is known to increase their prices for the classic flap bag almost every single year. In August 2011 the Jumbo Flap Bag retailed for $4550.00CAD. This past weekend (March 2012) I went to the Chanel boutique and the price of the Jumbo Flap Bag has increased to $4900.00CAD - this being said I'd like to get mine this year before the prices increase once again! I definitely would love to get it in black with silver hardware. I'd get more use out of a black bag and it, being my first Chanel I would definitely want no regrets in getting any thing that I wouldn't use!

The hardest part for me right now is to narrow it down to whether i want the bag in Lambskin or Caviar leather...

Lambskin is very soft and buttery that gives the bag a very luxurious feel/look and shine! However, Lambskin has quite a bit of set backs. Its very prone to dents and scratches - even to the zippers from the bag itself can leave marks and indentations on the lambskin. It can't really be cleaned therefore the bag is super high maintenance! Lambskin is also very prone to fading of the color as well as after using the bag you would have to store it by stuffing the inside the bag to keep its shape. Lambskin is more flimsy and can lose its shape over time. I love the look and feel of the lambskin but am totally a klutz. I feel as if I were to get it in the lambskin I would ruin it before its lifetime is up. 

Caviar is a textured (pebbled) leather that is more stiff and durable. Its more water resistant and stain resistant, if anything were to get on it you could easily clean the bag by wiping it with a cloth or a bit of water. Its super low maintenance and its a leather that you could use all the time without worrying. I prefer the look of the lambskin over the caviar but being more practical, I would use the caviar more often without being super anal. Plus, its a more structured bag so I wouldn't have to care so much about storing the bag after I use it. 



Ahhh ! I'm so torn between the two leather types :( help please ! 


4 comments:

  1. I would go for the caviar if I were you! I've used my sisters caviar jumbo many times and chucked it around and it still looks brand new. For the price you're paying you deffs want it to last for as long as possible right? Hahah! You make me want one too wahh :( I want the black caviar with gold hardware so badly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am selling mine (whaawhaa) to fund my child's dental; it is black caviar with gold hardward & in good condition, probably worth $1500 at least but I'll end up with $750 bc I can't wait & it will have to go on ebay auction. So if you want, I'll send you the photos n stuff. It's been deemed authentic by My Poupettes & it's classic (I love it & I use it). lv mssg at 850-572-5108
      debra

      Delete
  2. yeah ! i think i might get the caviar leather! but my heart is so in love with the way the lambskin looks </3 i think for my first chanel I'm most likely going to go with the caviar and maybe my second one will be lambskin.. hehehe :) GET ONE TOO JEN ! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the feeling of the lambskin one! Now you have to think about what color hardware you want!! Yeah right! Can't afford a jumbo just yet LOL

      Delete